Problem, Initial Approach & Result
The problem with this feature was that users would have to go back to the search screen to pick the dates, which was not intuitive. So we needed to come up with a way for them to change dates without all the hassles.
For testing purpose, my initial design was just adding a calendar icon to the top right of the detail screen, and changing the call to action at the bottom to Choose Dates. The changes only applied to the hotel retails path.
The test was positive, so we decided to also add the feature to express deals, and Name Your Own Price for the hotel products.
To evaluate my design approaches, I would swipe through my wireframes of the flow on a mobile device to get a sense of how real users would interact with it. Once I had a good feeling about a few approaches, I would ask the stakeholders and few other colleagues to go over the flows and get feedbacks before moving on to the design phase. One tradeoff I made in the designs was to remove the calendar and bed icons for small iPhones screens to prevent the text from being too small to read. The goal here was to help users choose the dates with ease, so usability was my main focus. Even though the visual treatment was the same across the retail, Express Deals, and Name Your Own Price on the hotel path, the challenge was to decide where in each path we asked users to pick the dates. For that, I worked closely with the product manager on figuring out the best possible solutions to A/B test it.
The final result provided a 4.97% conversion lift to the Name Your Own Price hotel products.
My responsibilities include ideation, competitive research, sketching, wireframing, designing, QA and provided variations to developers for A/B testing.